1M gallons of city water used during fire

PLYMOUTH — During Monday evening’s board of public works and safety meeting, Plymouth utility superintendent Donnie Davidson informed the board that about one million gallons of water were used extinguishing the flames at Liberty Depot Saturday.
“That’s 3,000 gallons per minute, which is full capacity for both our plants,” said Davidson. “We didn’t have any more water to get them even if we wanted to.” Davidson added that he appreciated the work of the fire department as not only a department head, but also as a citizen.
“I was extremely impressed with the performance of our fire department and everyone that assisted,” said Davidson.
Mayor Mark Senter also commented on the fire, telling new fire chief Rod Miller, “Welcome to chief-hood.”
Miller gave the board an update on the fire, saying that the fire marshal had evaluated the scene earlier that day.
“At this point, we are at a standstill,” said Miller. “I don’t know if we will be able to prove what started the fire, but our investigation will be thorough. I don’t have any more details at this time, on the fire…except that it made history for us.”
Senter commented that although he was out of town when the fire started, he was confident in his department head’s abilities to control the situation.
“I truly appreciate the department heads coming out without being asked,” said Senter. “I knew (the situation) was in good hands.”
Board member Wayne Smith, former Plymouth fire department chief, also weighed in on the weekend’s events, saying, “(Miller) did an excellent, excellent job out there Saturday. He was there, immediately on the scene. He was in control of the whole situation. Everyone acted professionally and I think it has a lot to do with Rod’s training.”
Smith also thanked the many volunteer firefighters who assisting during the ordeal.
Board member Duane Culp offered his thanks to Miller and his department as well, saying that he heard 90 percent of the communication between the police and fire departments over the radio throughout the night.
“I thought the way the communication was handled was awesome,” said Culp. “I take my hat off to Jim (Cox, Plymouth police chief) and to (Miller) too.”