PLYMOUTH — Elkhart-based painter Michael Janowski’s work will be on display in February at the Heartland Artists Gallery in downtown Plymouth. Janowski, who initially started in art with drawing, said that he enjoys realistically depicting textures and fine detail with pastels.
“I could sit for hours upon end painting and not realize the time," said Janowski. "For me, the most time consuming part of the painting process is in the initial composition, not the painting.”
Janowski added that he likes to experiment with different lighting and tones. He also makes sure that he takes time off now and then to keep his outlook fresh.
Heartland Artists Gallery will be exhibiting some of Janowski’s still life paintings, along with several landscapes and floral themed works.
An opening reception will be held Feb. 5 from 2 to 4 p.m., with an artist’s lecture at 3 p.m. The exhibit can be viewed throughout the month of February during the gallery’s normal hours of operation, Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Also in February at the gallery are new classes:
• Working with Clay, Feb. 1 and 8 from 6 to 8 pm. The instructor is Kathy Zentz. Supplies will be furnished. Cost: $20.
• Beaded Heart Bracelet, Feb. 8 from 6 to 8 pm. The instructor is Deb Scarborough. Supplies will be furnished. Cost: $30.
• Enameling with Jayne Jacobson, Feb. 11 from 9 to 4 p.m. Supplies will be furnished. Bring your own lunch and beverage. Cost: $45 Snow date is Feb. 18.
• Ink Drawing, Feb. 15 from 1 to 3 p.m. The instructor is Kathy Zentz. Cost is $20. Supplies will be furnished.
• Beginning Crochet, Feb. 22 from 6 to 8 p.m. The instructor is Deb Scarborough. Cost is $15. Supplies will be furnished.
Also, every Tuesday night is Pop In and Paint with Carolynne Babcock for $5. Every Thursday is Drop In and Draw with Kerri Bash for $5. Both of these are help classes, and attendees should bring their own work. For all classes, call 574-936-1123 to register.