BASS LAKE - As a volunteer firefighter for 26 years for the Bass Lake Fire Department, Phil Banasiak is used to saving peopleâ€™s lives. Fighting for his own life, on the other hand, is not something he is familiar with. On Saturday, Sept. 10, Banasiak felt fine; he worked all day, went out to dinner, came home, and fell asleep on the couch â€” but when he woke up Sunday morning, he was stunned to discover he was paralyzed from the waist down.
â€śItâ€™s a kind of shock. How many people do you know that went to sleep on Saturday and woke up and couldnâ€™t walk on Sunday?â€ť Banasiak said.