- Special Sections
- The Shopper/Review
A popular exhibit on the historic model trains of Culver Academies, circa 1948 to 1986, will return to the Culver Academies Museum and Gift Shop, 102 South Main Street, for a brief revival over Culver's Alumni Reunion Weekend, May 20 through 22. Though the original layout, which occupied over 40 by 24 feet of space under the school's dining hall and was overseen by late band director Col. Edward Payson, was destroyed 25 years ago, the several hundred vintage cars -- many rare and historical -- remain, as do various artifacts and memorabilia from the setup. The exhibit was available for viewing last autumn, but is being revived for a few days to allow returning alumni to view it.
In addition, a four by six foot recreation of part of the original layout, with working trains and utilizing some of the original layout's buildings, has been painstakingly constructed by Culver cadet Lawrence Dann-Fenwick and will be available for viewing during the exhibit. The layout will remain operational as a permanent part of the museum.
Continuing this spring at the museum is also a large exhibit on the formal balls and dances of the school's history, including more than 100 rare dance cards and other artifacts dating to the early 20th century.
The weekend also marks the start of extended summer hours of operation for the museum. It will now be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. The museum will be closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Questions may be directed to email@example.com, or 574-842-8842.