Starke County man robbed at gunpoint in home invasion, 2 men in custody

Two men are in custody following a manhunt which began Friday morning in Starke County and ended up in LaPorte County early Friday evening.
Officers from the Starke County Sheriff's Department received a phone call at about 10:46 a.m. Friday morning about a possible home invasion. They arrived at a residence in the 3000 block of 400 N., where the alleged incident occurred. There, officers learned from the victim that two people he knew had entered his home and battered him with a gun. The victim then told police that he was forced at gunpoint to open his gun safe.
The victim told the officers that the suspects told him if he did not give them what they wanted, they would kill his family. The victim complied with the robbers' demands.
After taking what they wanted, the victim said one of the suspects stayed at his residence, while the other forced him to go to his bank. The victim was held at gunpoint and forced to withdraw $800 from his account. After the funds were withdrawn, the suspect then took the victim back to his home.
One he arrived back at his residence, the victim was told that he and his family would be murdered if he contacted law enforcement.
When the suspects were leaving the property, they also told the victim that if the police approached them, they would not be afraid to shoot them.
Taken from the home were several guns, a video game unit, TV and other miscellaneous items.
Officers from the Starke County Sheriff's Department located the suspects in LaPorte County. They were traveling on 950 S. when the officers initiated a chase after the vehicle fled from the area. Before officers were able to catch up with the vehicle, it wrecked in the vicinity of 200 E. and 950 S.
The suspects fled the vehicle on foot. However, one of the suspects was apprehended just shortly after the vehicle crashed. The other suspect remained at large for much of Friday afternoon.
Officers from the Starke County Sheriff's Department, Knox City Police, DNR, Kingsford Heights Police, and the LaPorte County Sheriff's Department surrounded the area to locate the at large suspect. Lake County also sent in a helicopter to search the area. The LaPorte County K-9 unit located the suspect and he was placed in custody.
The case is currently under investigation. And police are not releasing any names at this time.