- Special Sections
Gurtner wins MD Tour event
LaVilleâ€™s Zach Gurtner carded a 1-over 73 at Tippecanoe Country Club to win the boys 17-19 division in a Mountain Dew Junior Golf Tour event in Monticello Tuesday.
Gurtner followed up his 37 on the front nine with an even-par 36 on the back to edge Kokomoâ€™s Tyler White by a stroke for top honors, while Plymouthâ€™s Ben Schenk turned in a 9-over 81 to finish in a tie for 10th in the
division, and Nate Kolter, also of Plymouth, shot 85 for 19th.
Meanwhile, in the boys 13-14 division at the event, Plymouthâ€™s John Schenk went 14 over at 86 to place sixth in his age group.
Marshall County Junior Tour kicks off at PCC
The 2013 Marshall County Junior Golf Tour got under way at the Plymouth Country Club Tuesday with 85 golfers competing in eight different divisions.
Cole Bechtold won the boys 16-17 competition with a score of 80 followed by Plymouthâ€™s Zach Craft, NorthWoodâ€™s Logan Kauffman and Culverâ€™s Trent Elliott in a three-way tie for second two strokes back at 82.
Braydon Schindler won the boys 14-15 division with an 83, while Plymouthâ€™s John Gerard finished third with an 89.
Calvin Larkin was the boys 12-13 winner with a 46 ahead of Plymouthâ€™s Carson Hoover, also with a 46, while LaVilleâ€™s Nick Nichols-Petersen and Kirby Watts shot 48 and 49 for third and fourth, respectively, and Tritonâ€™s Cole McKinney shot 50 to tie with Aaron Berger for fifth in the division.
Plymouthâ€™s Andrew Himes was the boys 10-11 medalist with a score of 36, while LaVilleâ€™s Colby and Nathan Watts shot 42 and 47, respectively, for fourth and fifth.
In girls play, meanwhile, NorthWoodâ€™s Heidi Morganthaler turned in a 78 to top the 15-18 division ahead of LaVilleâ€™s Lauren Read with an 84 in second place, while Tritonâ€™s Hannah Jennings shot 97 for fourth place, and Glennâ€™s Anna Schmeltz carded 98 for fifth.
Plymouthâ€™s Katie Johnson was the girls 12-14 winner with a 57, three strokes ahead of division runner-up Abigail Manikowski of Argos, while Bremenâ€™s Lexi Miller shot 62 for fourth.
Plymouthâ€™s Claudia Marohn placed second in the girls 8-11 division with a 42, six strokes behind winner Payton Johnston.
â€˘Â MARSHALL COUNTY JUNIOR GOLF TOUR
At Plymouth Country Club (par 72)
1. Cole Bechtold (Whitko) 80, 2. TIE Zach Craft (Plymouth), Logan Kauffman (Northwood), Trent Elliott (Culver) 82, 5. TIE Brayden Glaser (Northwood), Bryce Zimpelman (Tippecanoe Valley) 83
1. Braydon Schindler (Northfield) 83, 2. Trevor Neeley (Tippecanoe Valley) 85, 3. John Gerard (Plymouth) 89, 4. Cole Cumberland (Tippecanoe Valley) 92, 5. Alex Hoover (Plymouth) 93.
1. Calvin Larkin (Winamac) 46, 2. Carson Hoover (Plymouth) 46, 3. Nick Nichols-Petersen (LaVille) 48, 4. Kirby Watts (LaVille) 49, 5. TIE Aaron Berger (Hums), Cole McKinney (Triton) 50.
1. Andrew Himes (Plymouth) 36, 2. Bryce Coursen (Community) 37, 3. Jonah Berndt (Grace Baptist) 40, 4. Colby Watts (LaVille) 42, 5. Nathan Watts (LaVille) 47.
1. Gavin Butler (Triton) 23, 2. Sam Pfefferle (Bremen) 27, 3. Chandler Westafer (Triton) 32, 4. John Oliver (St. Michaelâ€™s) 33, 5. Nate Manikowski (Argos) 47.
1. Heidi Morganthaler (Northwood) 78, 2. Lauren Read (LaVille) 84, 3. Emily Song (Penn) 89, 4. Hannah Jennings (Triton) 97, 5. Anna Schmeltz (Glenn) 98.
1. Katie Johnson (Plymouth) 57, 2. Abigail Manikowski (Argos) 60, 3. Lucy Pugh (Winamac) 61, 4. Lexi Miller (Bremen) 62, 5. Victoria Biddle (Tippecanoe Valley) 68.
1. Payton Johnston (Winamac) 36, 2. Claudia Marohn (Plymouth) 42, 3. Kendal Johnston (Winamac) 52.