Only sanctioned SUP race in Indiana kicks off this weekend on Lake Max
This weekend's Lake Max Challenge Stand-up Paddleboard (SUP) event, Indiana’s only World Paddle Association Sanctioned race, is drawing racers from all over the Midwest and even Hawaii, according to event organizers Ed and Becky Furry of Sail22 in Culver. What’s that mean? Simply, elite pro racers and recreational racers will earn ranking points for the World Paddle Association rankings and Midwest SUP circuit, which allow racers to compete at national and world competitions.
If you haven’t tried to SUP yet, Sail22 has that covered too, with local board shops and board companies offering demo boards for Lake Max Challenge visitors to try out for free.
The Challenge kicks off Friday evening from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Culver Beach Lodge, where demo boards will be available for anyone wishing to give it a try before race day. From 7 to 9 p.m., a get-together for participants and their families will take place at Sail22 Headquarters, which is also the Furrys' home at 15882 18B Road in Culver. A special treat from Papa’s restaurant and live music from Chad Van Herk, as well as light appetizers, will be offered.
Early Saturday morning at 7:15 a.m., anyone is welcome to come to a yoga session on the beach with Shaina Lampton of Bottom Line Training Co., or to try yoga on a SUP with Janina Schmiede of The PaddleSUP. Special SUPs will be provided for the yoga sessions and Janina will offer more SUP yoga throughout the day.
Onsite registration is $10 more on the day of the event and begins at 7:30 a.m. at the Culver Beach Lodge. All race participants receive free beach access for the day. A race participants' meeting will start at 8:30 a.m. with racing commencing at 9 a.m.
Racers can take part in a Beginner, Elite or Kids' race category, or race in the Lake Max Challenge category, which is an SUP race all the way around Lake Maxinkuckee. Chad Van Herk will play again on the beach from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Beach Lodge. The Lakehouse Grille will offer Lake Max Challenge specials and host an after-party with live band in the evening.
After the racing, the Lake Max Challenge is excited to have Slater Trout, a standout SUP pro from Hawaii, providing a Beginner and Elite SUP clinic for racers who want to improve their skills. Each clinic is $50 per person to participate and has a maximum of 20 people.
To register for the Lake Max Challenge and clinic please go to www.lakemaxchallenge.com
LAKE MAX CHALLENGE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Friday, June 29
• 5 to 7 p.m. - SUP board demos and SUP yoga with The PaddleSUP at the Culver Beach Lodge.
• 7 to 9 p.m.0 Beer and munchies with live music by Chad Van Herk at Sail22 Headquarters, 15882 18B Rd., Culver
• 9 p.m. on - Support a local restaurant!
Saturday, June 30
• 7:15 a.m. - Yoga on the beach with Bottom Line Training’s Shaina Lampton.
• 7:30 to 8:30 am - Registration and packet pick-up at Culver Beach Lodge.
• 8:30 am - Racer instruction meeting
• 9 a.m. on - SUP demos and SUP yoga.
• 9 a.m. - First race with subsequent races to follow.
• 11 a.m. on - BBQ available in the Culver Town Park
• 1 p.m. (or half hour after last race) - Awards and BBQ
• 2 p.m. on - After party at The Lakehouse Grille
All activities are open to the public.