A meeting they will always remember

BOURBON — Bourbon Police Officer Ben McIntyre and pastor of the Bourbon Bible Church Larry Goss will likely remember the first time they met for the rest of their lives — because in a twist of fate, they met each other for the first time — seven months apart. McIntyre met Goss the morning of Oct. 31 when he answered a call of a man who was unresponsive.
But Goss didn’t meet McIntyre until April 12, during a regular Bourbon Town Council meeting when he shook his hand during an award presentation for saving his life.
“The Lutheran hospital said if this had happened in their front hall, I would have had a one in five chance of survival ... and without brain damage. I haven’t had any problems ... I want to .... what was I saying?” Goss joked. On a more somber note he added, “I want to thank the department and the town for training their employees to do this (use a defirbilator) and officer McIntyre for saving my life.”
McIntyre said during an earlier interview that he had been called to use the department’s defibrillator on other patients, but that this case was the first one where revival procedures were successful. “I was just answering the call,” he said humbly. “He had no pulse and wasn’t breathing.”
Goss explained after the council meeting that he had had no major health issues or any cholesterol problems prior to the event that almost took his life.
“I had just started the service and was standing behind the pulpit,” he explained. “I felt a little dizzy and then I don’t remember anything until a couple hours later when I woke up at Lutheran Hospital. I briefly remember hearing sirens.”
He said after he lost consciousness, several of his parishioners, four that had medical experience, began taking turns attempting to revive him and brought ice to pack around him from the church kitchen. Steph Wells, Kay Church, Diana Wagner and Erin and Chad Kuntz and worked on him for between five and 10 minutes until McIntyre arrived at the scene.
“They took me to the hospital in Warsaw and then Lifeline flew me to Fort Wayne,” he said.
As a leader of the Christian faith Goss said he was a “little disappointed” he had no memory of anything supernatural or any ethereal messages to pass on as a result of the event.
About a week later he was discharged from the hospital.
“I had a valve replaced later in January,” he said of his heart — though it was not an emergency situation and was not related to his heart stopping on Halloween.
“I am very thankful to the police department, the EMS people, all the folks that did CPR on me and all the people that were involved in their training,” he said.