Fire at landfill put out quickly
ARGOS — A pile of trash caught on fire at County Line Landfill Tuesday around 6 p.m., but was put out quickly according to Ryan Murphy, assistant fire chief at the Rochester Fire Department.
"Some trash on the hill caught on fire," said Murphy Wednesday, adding, "The cause of fire was never really determined — it could have been a hot load of ash or a cigarette."
Employees of the landfill noticed the fire, and called 911. Murphy said that firefighters were only on the scene for about 40 minutes.
"That's from the time of dispatch, they were probably only actually fighting the fire for about 25 minutes," said Murphy.