Encore season opens with 'Parrots' tonight
PLYMOUTH — Encore Performing Arts will open their season of entertainment this Friday evening with Ohio-based group “Parrots of the Caribbean.”
“(The group) is a salute to Jimmy Buffett,” said Encore director Deborah Gidley. “We had them last year for the first time and it went over really well. It was probably our best show from last season, so we decided to bring them back for this year.”
The show begins at 7 p.m. at the Amphitheater in Centennial Park, and gates will be open starting at 6 p.m. Delta Pheta Tau sorority will be in charge of concessions, and they will serve hot dogs, bratwursts, cheeseburgers, popcorn, candy, and drinks, including non-alcoholic margaritas.
“People are also welcome to bring their own food,” said Gidley. “All ages can attend, and we try to make all our shows good for kids. The second half will probably get to be a little more adult.”
Admission is $10 for adults, and free for college students and youth. Centier Bank is sponsoring Friday’s show.
Other Encore performances planned for this summer include:
• June 6 — Alligator Blackbird, 7 p.m. The three piece band is led by Fabian Gusman, a 2006 Plymouth High School graduate.
• July 20 — Southside Denny and the Snyders, 7 p.m. Blues artist Denny Snyder performs with his family.
• July 27 — “Shakespeare on the Lawn” by The Young Company. Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s students perform a Shakespeare production. Free to all.
• August 11 — George Schricker and Wild Rose Moon, 7 p.m. Original ballads by Indiana songwriter George Schricker.
• August 24 — Danny Barber’s Jazz Cats, 7 p.m. The Jazz Cats play music from Duke Ellington, Nat King Cole, Freddie Hubbard, and more.
For more information about Encore or any of these events, visit the website at www.encoreperformingarts.org.