Downtown 'Second Fridays' kick off this weekend
PLYMOUTH — Prepare to see the downtown cityscape transformed this Friday evening as shop owners put out special sales, art displays, and even some refreshments. The city’s “Second Fridays” summer events kick off this weekend, and many downtown shops will be staying open until 8 p.m. to accommodate attendees. The theme for the first event is “Art on the Streets.” Visitors to downtown that evening can enjoy looking at art, meeting shop owners, and listening to soft jazz music playing through speakers outside.
Co-owner of L & K Serendipity Shoppe Lori Manning said that she plans to have kid’s activities and kid-friendly refreshments available.
“We will also have specials throughout the store, just fun stuff,” said Manning, “We normally close at five on Fridays, but we will be open from 9 (a.m.) to 8 (p.m.) this Friday.”
Second Fridays are an incentive to get people to visit the downtown area, said Erin Yeager, owner of new shop Ely Lane and member of the Second Fridays organizational committee. Yeager believes that the event will “add a little culture to the downtown” as well as promote awareness for the many new businesses that have recently become a part of the downtown community. Yeager will be displaying work by local artist Laura LaVine Marmolejos Friday.
Other businesses participating in Second Fridays include:
• Heartland Artists Gallery — art displays
• Opie’s Deli — open until 8 p.m.
• Fernbaugh’s Jewelers — open until 8 p.m.
• A.S.K. for Flowers — sale on Melissa & Doug toys.
• King’s Jewelry — Magnibilities famous artists selection including Van Gogh, Monet, Kristen Stein, and work by local photographer Paula Ruwersma.
• Marshall County Historical Museum — Indian Historic Preservation Month photos, artwork by Richard Soloman.
• The Brass Rail — prime rib and shrimp special
• Yoder’s Sports Center — shorts sale, buy one get one half off
• The Frame Shoppe — 25 percent off Terry Ridlin prints
• Rock On 109 — homemade rhubarb punch, sidewalk sales, artwork by store owner Bonnie Rock including posters and lamps
• Na Rie Simple Treasures — 25 percent off select merchandise
• Harriet’s Closet — 50 percent off all long sleeve tops and 20 percent off everything in the store, sidewalk art, sidewalk chalk available to make your own art in front of the store
• Treat’s Squire Shop— special three-hour sale on all Nike men and women’s apparel
• Encore Consignment Shop — 20 percent off everything in the store, customer appreciation cards
For more information about Second Fridays, contact the Plymouth Chamber of Commerce, 574-936-2323.