Details of deadly Culver fire confirmed

Angelica Bush, a 2008 graduate of Culver Comm. High School, died in a fire early Thursday morning ruled electrical by Culver fire chief Terry Wakefield and Marshall County fire marshal Fred Sumpter.
By: 
Jeff Kenney, Citizen editor
Staff Writer

Culver fire chief Terry Wakefield has confirmed that an early morning fire in Culver was ruled accidental, with town marshal Wayne Bean also confirming no foul play is suspected in the death of a 2008 Culver Community High School graduate in the blaze.

Wakefield said Culver firefighters received the call at 1:32 Thursday morning, to the fire at a residence at the corner of Mill and Clymax Streets in Culver. Monterey's fire department was also called to assist.

Sources confirm that Anjelica Bush (PICTURED), who had been a caretaker at the house at the time of the fire, died, likely due to smoke inhalation, though an official report from Marshall County coroner Bill Cleavenger is expected later today.

Many in the community are expressing shock and devastation at the news. Bush was a popular student while at Culver Community, and familiar face at the Original Root Beer Stand, where she had worked for some years, and in the community at large.

Wakefield said an electrical cord was the cause of the fire, which he said did extensive damage to the house, which remains standing.

He added that Marshall County fire marshal Fred Sumpter assisted in determining the cause and origin of the fire.

The fire chief also emphasized the importance of ensuring smoke detectors are installed and functional in residences, noting none were present at the house in question.

Category: