Buckle Bunnies win Team Open Rodeo
GROVERTOWN — It was Ladies’ Night at the Team Open Rodeo competition at Saylor’s arena in Grovertown Saturday, with a five-member team of women taking the top spot and the $1,000 prize money.
The Buckle Bunnies, with Vanessa Norris, Jill Doty, Shannon Haab, Kelly Norris and Angelica Lorado, won first place out of the nine teams taking part. They earned 63 points.
The prize money, however, went to help defray the cost of medical expenses. Lorado finished her eight-second ride on the bull but was injured on the dismount. The bull stepped on her leg and broke her femur.
Other teams and the points earned were:
• Team Saylor, with 60.5 points in second place;
• Rochin’ H Ranch, in third place with 51.5 points;
• Full Throttle’s 48.5 points earned them a fourth place spot;
• Horse Power, collected 41.5 points, landing in fifth;
• Rawhide finished in sixth place with 37.5 points;
• The Rubber Ducks, took seventh, with 34.5 points;
• and the Last Minute Riders were awarded 32 points, finishing eighth.
Points are earned by how team members place in the eight competitions, Eurat Saylor Jr. said. Events are bronc riding, team roping, the rescue race, trailer loading, the flag race, women’s barrel racing, the three-man relay and bull riding.
An all women team is unusual in the area, but women compete in all events on the national level.
The Saylors host two team rodeo events per year at their arena on US 30 in Grovertown.